Canon Department ID / printer login is supported by directprint.io
The Canon ImageRunner series can be configured to require a Department ID and PIN, requiring users to log in to the device to print or copy. There's no extra software to install on the copier. All configuration is done from the directprint.io Cloud Administration platform.
This guide describes the different login options and how to enable them in directprint.io
Before you begin
1) Decide which login method you want to use, this is typically one of the following:
- User logs in with Department ID and PIN (See config A below)
- User logs in with Department ID and blank (no) PIN (See config B below)
- User logs in by tapping a card
2) Decide whether you want Secure Print as well as department ID and PIN
Secure print will store the job in the Secure Print Queue on the Canon device, the user will need to re-enter their PIN to release the job (See config C below)
3) Access to the web interface of the device: Log in to the Canon web administration panel
This will be useful when debugging incorrect user codes as the log under the 'Status' option will show which department ID was sent by directprint.io and whether it corresponds to a known ID in the device.
4) Find or create a valid department ID and (if required) PIN combination that is known to be working on the device
Choosing the correct directprint.io configuration (PPD fragment)
Choose one of the following options and apply it to the printer:
Under advanced settings for the printer select
- Manufacturer -> Canon
- PPD Type/Function -> Accounting
Select your required configuration from the dropdown:
Config A) Enable Department ID and PIN login
~ or ~
Config B) Enable Department ID and no PIN
~ or ~
Config C) Enable Department ID + PIN with secure print enabled
Enter the Department ID and PIN in the directprint.io App.
Under the config section of the directprint.io application on Windows, Mac or Chrome locate the Secure print PIN and Accounting Code entry boxes.
Enter the credentials according to the mapping below:
directprint.io Accounting Code = Canon Department ID
directprint.io Secure Print PIN = Canon PIN (password)
To automate input of the PIN and Department ID for your used in a Google environment, check out this guide.
Run a test print
With the department code and PIN set run a test print to the Canon device.
- In the case of any errors check the print log for the error code, you should see the department ID sent by the Application alongside any print failure in the print log
- Consult the Canon documentation if you encounter an error code in the Log.
- Secure prints will be held in the secure print queue of the printer.