directprint.io allows administrators to apply advanced options such as secure print, or advanced finishing features (staple/punch) to specific user groups.
Example: The Finance and Marketing departments use the same printer (as defined in directprint.io)
- All prints by Finance staff require secure print to be enabled - the prints must be released at printer using a PIN code.
- All prints by marketing should print out without authentication - no PIN code required.
This use case can be achieved using either of two methods:
- Using policies applied to user groups to differentiate advanced features on a single printer instance (see below)
- By having two instances (copies) of the same printer with different 'forced' advanced features (not covered in this guide) and having the required printer allocated to each group respectively.
Method 1: Using policies with delegated or forced printer options
This method relies on a policy being attached to a user/device group or OU.
The presence of the policy can then be used to enable (or disable) advanced finishing features.
In this example we'll use secure print, but the same method applies for all advanced finishing features.
- Create a new policy for the user group requiring secure print: https://directprint.io/admin/policies as this is a secure print example and we want the secure print PIN pop-up to show select 'Printer based release'
- Save the policy and locate your printer in the printer list: https://directprint.io/admin/printers
- Under 'Actions' for the printer select 'Advanced settings'
- If you haven't already enabled secure print for the printer, follow this guide
- Locate the secure print option, open the center drop-down which lists options such as Force, Delgate, etc.
- For secure printing you will need to select the policy name you created in step 1 under the 'Force with policy' section - this will have the effect of turning on secure print when the policy is active. In our example below we select the 'Administration staff' policy.
- Navigate back to the Google Workspace or Azure printer allocation screens and the specific OU/Group that you want to activate secure print for. At the foot of the page you will see a policy selector. Enable the policy at the OU/Group level to apply this policy to the user's group/OU.
- Within 30 minutes or at next logoff/logon the policy will be applied to the specific user group.