We’ve made some changes to Edge Print, but in short, if you have Edge Print already configured your current setup will continue to work without any actions from you.
Continue reading to find out more about the changes.
Why we’re making changes
We’re always iterating on our product and while Edge Print has been well received by our customers, we're always trying to expand the feature set and make the system more robust.
- Edge Accounts - A Google Workspace account set up to specifically handle Edge Printing capabilities.
- Edge Nodes - An always-on, always connected device that can run the directprint.io app.
- Redundancy - You can now have multiple Edge Nodes logged in on the same Edge Account to provide redundancy. The Edge Nodes must have network connectivity to their assigned printers. The ability to define Multiple nodes is coming.
- Multiple Accounts - You can now set up multiple Edge Print Accounts. This is useful when you want a dedicated account to handle print jobs for a specific location as an example.
- User Interface - We’ve given the Edge Print admin screen a facelift with a number of improvements.
- Edge Print System Map - The Edge Print map provides an overview of your Edge Print deployment, accounts and nodes.
- Edge Print Data - We’ve surfaced useful information such as the number of Edge accounts, Edge Nodes, prints, and errors.
- Edge Node Call Homes - Edge Nodes now report a call home date and time. This is displayed in the admin screen to provide visibility on your Edge Node’s health. If a call home isn’t received within 1 hour, the Edge node card will turn red.
New Feature - Coming Soon - Edge Pull Print
- Edge Pull Print - Will provide your end-users with the ability to release jobs on-demand using a directprint.io mobile release app.
Edge Pull Print isn’t quite ready (planned September 2021), the changes we’ve made to the admin console will help support this feature when it’s released. We’ll keep posted on any updates. If you're interested in being a Beta tester for Edge Pull Print, please raise a support ticket or email email@example.com
New Feature - Coming Soon - Multiple nodes
- Soon, you'll also be able to define multiple nodes on the same account to service different locations.