Feature overview and configuration
The directprint.io Client supports secure terminal release printing.
Secure printing provides the ability for organizations to greatly reduce printer waste and improve document security by ensuring that the individual who requests a print job is standing at the printer when the job is printed.
This is achieved by holding print jobs until a job PIN number is entered into a print-release console near the printer.
Sample print release screen
- Administrators configure the system on a per-printer basis to hold print jobs. See configuration details in the following sections.
End-users hit print - no special instructions are required. The system generates a PIN number for that print job.
- End-users enter the PIN number at the print-release terminal, the job is released immediately
Secure printing does not rely on any printer vendor or printer model specific technologies.
Please note that print documents do not leave the local network during the hold-release process - a security advantage vs Cloud print solutions.
The print release terminal
Printer and print-release station
Please note: that directprint.io does not supply print-release terminal hardware. It is the responsibility of the licensee to source hardware suitable for your environment.
- The print-release station is a device capable of displaying a single web page:
- The terminal may be any device capable of running a browser
- This includes tablets, phones, laptops, or other devices capable of running an Internet browser
- The terminal must be connected to the Internet 24/7
- The terminal may be connected wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi)
- No specific wireless connectivity is required (a/b/g/n)
- Bandwidth requirements for the terminal are very limited
- Typically few kilobytes per minute
- The terminal does not need to be on the same subnet as the printer (although it can be).
Configuration - directprint.io
Under the chosen printer policy select ‘PIN Release using directprint.io/pin’ from the Secure printing release options dropdown.
The link to configure the PIN release station will be automatically displayed in the directprint.io print dashboard https://directprint.io/admin
Configuring the print release terminal
Navigate to https://directprint.io/pin
This message will be permanently displayed on the print release screen during normal operation. You could use this display message for School or location information e..g ‘Cedar Hills School Library’ or ‘Think before you print’
This is an HTTP/HTTPS URL for an image to display on the screen along with the display message.
We suggest a School or Company logo or similar.
How to reset the terminal once it’s been configured?
To wipe all of the above fields please navigate to https://directprint.io/pin/reset
The successful configuration will result in the following screen with a green ‘Connected to server’ message:
Successfully connected print-release terminal
- Please note that a user's Chromebook / Chrome device must remain turned on during the print release operation.
- The print job is held on the Chrome device until the PIN entry at the print release terminal releases the job.
- If the Chromebook is sleeping/off then when the print job is released at the print release station then the print job will be retained until the Chrome device is turned back on.