directprint.io has been installed by my Administrator
I need to install directprint.io myself
Your administrator will provide you with a download link to the directprint.io setup.exe (installer) for windows.
- Download the installer
- Click on the installer to begin the installation process.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install directprint.io for Windows
directprint.io is installed
To display the directprint.io application window launch the app from the notification area in the taskbar, look for the black printer icon. Alternatively you can find directprint.io in the Start Menu
The directprint.io application window shows the current print jobs and a list of active printers.
directprint.io client application running on Windows 10
The printers displayed in the directprint.io ‘Active printers list’ should be accessible from the Windows print dialog (Ctrl-P in most applications) or File -> Print in most Microsoft applications.
If your administrator has provided you with a ‘QuickCode’ please proceed to option 2.
Otherwise (for the majority of users) please proceed to option 1)
Option 1) Printer installation (automatic / preferred)
- Start the dirctprint.io application.
- Hit the ‘Sign in with Google’
- Enter your Google Sign-in credentials.
- You may need to restart your computer at this point for your printer list to show in directprint.io
- Printers will be allocated to you automatically and may change over time. Your administrator is responsible for printer allocation and removal.
Option 2) Installation of printers via manual QuickCode entry
- Your administrator may provide you with one or more QuickCodes. You can enter these codes into the directprint.io client under ‘Enter a directprint.io QuickCode ’to get permanent access to printers.
Printing using directprint.io
directprint.io printers are regular windows printers. To print invoke the print dialog from the application (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc). Select the target printer from the Windows print dialog:
If the printer requires you to choose single or double-sided printing directprint.io will show a pop-up window allowing you to choose advanced print options and draft modes to save paper and ink:
Select your required print mode ‘Best, Saver, Image Zap, Mono, Draft, …’ etc. by sliding the slider left or right.
A preview of the print quality will be shown at the bottom of the window, scroll to see the full page.
If this document is a reprint within the last 24 hours, the system will ask you to confirm that you want to reprint the document.
Click ‘Print’ to initiate the print.
Version 1.5 release notes / caveats / restrictions:
- Windows 64-bit is currently limited to US letter and Euro A4 paper sizing only. Windows 32-bit supports a wide range of paper sizes. directprint.io is working on removing the 64-bit paper size restrictions.
- Due to the document conversion process, printing on Windows typically takes longer than on Chromebooks. The print speed will largely depend on the specifications of the host machine.
- Printers are automatically updated every 30 minutes, at every logon, or when the user clicks the refresh icon in the client application.
- The windows client must not be installed alongside the Chrome App client on Windows - the system will double-count printers in Chrome if both the Windows and Chrome Apps are installed concurrently.
- If a printer requires duplex or color choice by the end user a secondary print window will be displayed after the user dismisses the Windows print dialog. Duplex and mono can still be enforced thru the directprint.io admin console using directprint.io policies. When printing large documents the time taken to display the secondary print window can be lengthy. This is a known issue and directprint.io will look to provide an update to alleviate the delay.
- The only way to exit/kill the application and background process is to invoke the Task Manager (taskmgr) to end the direcprint.io process. This requirement is intentional - to prevent users from accidentally stopping the print service.
- The installers are currently unsigned and therefore may require approval before installing. directprint.io will re-issue signed installers in a forthcoming release.
- Launching the app from the Start Menu sometimes requires 2 attempts (the first launch doesn’t show the app Window). We suggest launching the app from the Taskbar (bottom-right).
- Each printer can take approximately 5 seconds to create at the system level, this leads to a delay in the availability of printers when initially provisioning long printer lists.
~ End of document ~