- Edge Print integrates directly with Google Drive to enable remote / off-network printing.
Summary of required permissions:
"View and manage Google Drive files or folders that you have opened or created with this app"
https:/ / www. googleapis. com/ auth/ drive. file
|Edge Print Receiver||
"See, edit, create, and delete all of your Google Drive files".
https:/ / www. googleapis. com/ auth/ drive
Limited to the scope of the Edge Print Receiver user only.
- When a user attempts to print remotely for the first time, the directprint.io app will ask the user to allow Google Drive permissions as shown in the image below.
- For an end-user directprint.io requires permission only to view and manage folders or files that have been opened or created with the directprint.io app. By giving this permission it allows directprint.io to upload a print job to the user's Google Drive folder.
Edge Receiver Permissions
- To retrieve the print job from the user's Google Drive directory, an Edge Print Receiver must be setup.
- An Edge Print Receiver is a device running Chrome OS, macOS, or Windows 10 which has the standard directprint.io app installed.
- An Edge Print Receiver must always be on and always connected and it must sit on the same network as the printer that you would like to enable for remote printing.
- An Edge Print Receiver must have a G Suite user associated with it. The associated user must be created exclusively for acting as a print receiver.
- When an end-user submits a print job, the print job is uploaded to their Google Drive directory but then immediately transferred to the Edge Print Receiver user.
- For an Edge Print Receiver, directprint.io requires permission to 'See, edit, create and delete all your Google Drive files. By giving this permission it allows directprint.io to retrieve transferred print jobs and delete print jobs from the Drive directory once the job has been sent to the printer.